JOB VACANCIES: HOUSE MANAGER (2 POSTS)
Two Part-time posts offering 15 hours a week at £10.04 per hour.
The Forum is a successful charity run community venue providing a wide range of activities. It is Northallerton’s main performance venue, offering cinema, theatre, music and comedy to name but a few. It also provides the base for many community groups from the town and surrounding area. Looking at our website www.forumnorthallerton.org.uk will give you a taste of what we do.
Reporting to the Manager, these posts will have a key role in managing our programme of events and ensuring that all our customers and users of the building have a superb experience of the Forum. The successful applicants will be part of a small team of paid staff that is supplemented by volunteers assisting in the box office and administrative support, and at events and the cinema.
We are seeking two individuals to join our team. You must have experience of events management and customer service working with a team including volunteers. As well as the house manager role, one of the posts will have responsibility for coordinating our volunteer team and the other post will take responsibility for managing the cinema equipment and set up.
Because of the nature of our offer both posts will need to work flexible hours to meet the needs of the programme of events and hires, and this will involve evening and weekend working.
Please drop in to the Forum or visit www.forumnorthallerton.org.uk/page/job-vacancies for the job specification, additional information and an application form before applying.
If you have any questions, please contact Anita Lee, Forum Manager, at the Forum, on 01609 776230 or by email at email@example.com
Closing Date: 4pm on 24th January 2020, interviews are likely to be held w/c 27th January 2020.
Job Description: House Manager (2 Posts)
Time: 15 hours a week, averaged over a 4- week period. The normal weekly hours will be planned in advance, to suit the different requirements of events and hires, and will include evening and weekend work.
Holiday Holiday entitlement is based pro rata on 30 days annual leave including Bank Holiday days. Based on 15 hours per week, your pro rata holiday entitlement will be 90 hours per calendar year.
Wages: £ 10.04 per hour.
Direct Manager: The Forum Manager.
Responsible for: Whilst acting as House Manager: Volunteers and staff who may be present for the event.
Purpose of the Post
Both posts will provide high quality event and house management. When formally in charge of the building as House Manager, he/she will ensure that customers, users of the building and members of the public have a superb experience of the Forum, and that all procedures, including those for health and safety and finance, are followed at all times.
Post 1 will have main responsibility for the co-ordination of the volunteer team. Post 2 will have main responsibility for the management of the cinema equipment and film ordering. Postholders will be expected to provide cover for the duties of the other post during periods of absence – for example whilst the other postholder is on annual leave.
• Providing all users of the Forum with a professional and friendly welcome, and excellent customer service;
• Ensuring that events at the Forum run smoothly at all times, responding to and resolving problems or incidents as they arise including dealing with any customer complaints, and helping make the Forum an excellent venue for audience members and people or organisations running events;
• Being responsible for the building and facilities, including health and safety, heating, cleanliness and customer service;
• Opening up and preparing the building for use and locking up and securing the building;
• Setting up equipment for Forum users, e.g. table layout, raked seating as required;
• Assist with setting up staging, sound, lighting and cinema equipment;
• Co-ordinating and supervising any volunteers and staff who may be present;
• Responding to any First Aid incidents and ensure that appropriate action is taken dependent on scale of injury or illness;
• Carrying out necessary administrative tasks, including financial procedures, during the shift; regular reporting of events, including any major incidents or issues, to the Forum Manager for attention and prevention in future.
Volunteer Co-ordination (Main responsibility of Post 1)
• Work with the Forum Manager and Assistant Forum Manager to generate quality enquiries for volunteering through new initiatives and promotional campaigns;
• Compiling the Volunteer Rota for events, matching roles required to available resources;
• Management of rotas for other tasks fulfilled by Volunteers, for example on box office/ reception duties;
• Show consideration to the care and welfare of our volunteer team by maintaining contact to ensure their needs are being met and that we make best use of the contribution each volunteer can offer to the Forum;
• Under the direction of the Forum Manager develop a professional volunteer team by providing quality induction and specific duties training, motivating, valuing and recognising the contribution made by each member of the team;
• Undertaking an annual feedback survey and as required review meetings with volunteers to ensure that we are meeting individual needs and to define required training;
• Develop and implement a volunteer communications strategy including the production of a volunteer handbook, newsletters and volunteer meetings.
Cinema (Main responsibility of Post 2)
•Ordering of films, trailers and posters; • Loading films and trailers onto the cinema server and ensuring playlists are prepared in readiness for screenings; • Testing playlists to ensure these work properly in advance of screenings; • Managing content through our satellite system LANsat, including Live Screening content, to include liaising with the service providers helpdesk to resolve any problems; • Ensuring Live Screening material that the Forum will be showing at a later date is recorded for subsequent screening.
These posts are part of a small team of paid Forum staff, supplemented by volunteers on particular duties, and the jobholders needs to work flexibly and develop a sense of team working and community involvement. There will be a need to contribute to team working to ensure that, at all times, the Forum is presented as an efficient, professional and accessible venue. There will be occasions where you will be asked to assist the Facilities Assistants.
House Manager Person Specification
• Experience of events management; • Experience of working with volunteer teams; • Excellent customer service and experience of working with the public; • Strong verbal and written communication skills; • Experience of working as part of a team, including managing and leading people; • Strong organisational and problem-solving skills; • A ‘can do’ attitude, and the ability to stay calm under pressure; • Proven track record of punctuality, reliability and good time keeping; • Proven trustworthiness; • Excellent attention to detail; • Ability to work alone and respond to verbal or written instructions from the Forum Manager; • Ability to work unsociable hours in line with the demands of the post and the organisation; • Enthusiasm to make a difference to this community-focussed facility.
• Experience of House Management of a building used by members of the public; • Experience of managing a volunteer team (Post 1 in particular);
• Experience of/interest in setting up sound, lighting and cinema equipment (Post 2 in particular); • Experience of working at an arts venue or similar; • Knowledge of health and safety procedures and best practice.